CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 29, 2010

Walking with Grandma

We walked along a dusty road
to the country church
You talked to me of love of God
family and the home

You carried bags of homemade quilts
sewn together from scraps and love
You chuckled at my childish ways
and slowed your steps to mine
explaining that the quilts were for the
families that had trouble keeping warm
in the coming winter
because they couldn't afford to heat
their little country homes

You carried in another bag
leftovers from the lunch
that we had shared earlier at noon
These are for the pastor you told me
he gives and gives and gives
I do declare you exclaimed
He's the kindest man that has ever lived
and preached at the little white church
we are headed to
But Lands sakes the poor poor man
He never has enough food
because he cares more for others
then he does himself
so we will help him out today
and care for he who cares for us

That's how friendships go
sharing love and what we have together
with faith and trust

So on we walked that day
past the little country school
me skipping stones across the dirt
and learning love through action
the summer I stayed with you
on into the fall

Up to the small one room white church we went
with it's straight and pointed steeple
tall against the blue and sunny sky
A place where folks really loved each other
and religion was taught in deeds
done for one another
believing we all were one big family

Looking back now Grandma
now that you are gone
I see you were showing me
I'm connected
no matter where I roam
because as long as I have God
friends and family
and we take care of each other
I will always be at home.


Connie Whiting
Copyright 5/15/06

0 comments: